Yesterday
Although it's not a Friday I thought I'd prepare it for high tea today. So yesterday I went to the store, looked all around for the traditional yellow peas, but could not find them (found chickpeas though). I didn't give up, and after a while I found a package with yellow peas, allegedly pre-cooked, so they needed only five minutes. Happy, I returned home, thinking I didn't need to pre-soak them.
Looks perfect, doesn't? The package says: «The millers yellow peas. Boiling time 5 min. Peas for ten portions».
Today
So close to heaven, but a long way to go. After cutting all the vegetables, making the broth (alas only bouillon from the store), I opened the package of yellow peas. But, hey -.. what's this? No peas, just small yellow pellets. Shocked, not understanding what was wrong, I almost started believing that in Denmark, this is what they call peas.
Nevertheless, I added the pellets, and hoped for the best.
Weird pellets, looks like it's meant for a gold fish.
The Result
As a sceptic, you might understand why I felt cheated on, but the result looked quite nice. The soup turned yellow. Puh... at least they've added colour to this strange type of strange peas ... :-)
Not too bad, I think? I'm used to more texture, from the peas.
First thing Jan said was that he hadn't had Yellow Peas in ages. During dinner Jan told me that only people living in the countryside still eats old fashioned peas. In Copenhagen they make soup from these pellets. How convenient ... I'm a peasant ...
An afterthought: It may be that people in Copenhagen are like a friend of mine. He can't stand the peel texture of beans, lentils and peas. Clever they are, no more peeling, just use pellets. It's a perfect gift for my friend. :-)

2 kommentarer:
I hear you, John-Arne. Not that I have EVER eaten yellow peas, pellet shaped or otherwise, but to look forward to a childhood food and find it corrupted - after going through all that trouble - that's a bummer. Hope you have recovered over a nice steak by now :-)
Many times by now - and I have even bought some real pea soup (Norwegian that is!).
Send en kommentar