Today one of the major newspapers in Copenhagen, Berlingske Tidende, ran a story about the new opera house in Oslo (we went there in May). Copenhagen got a new opera house back in 2005, in the harbour area (just across the Amalienborg Castle). Earlier this year Oslo also got a new opera house, also situated by the waters. I guess we might call it the "Sidney effect".
Anyway, apart from the great pictures and a summary on the history of opera in Norway, the article also writes about the renewal of Oslo. Of which the city is in dire need of. Compared to Copenhagen and Stockholm there has been a lack of milieu in Oslo.
One of the things the article mentions is that the Munch Museum is going to be moved and situated not far from the Opera. What it doesn't mention is that the area surrounding the Opera House is quite appalling (big motorway, container docks etc.). All this is about to change, and the museum is just a minor part in the plans. The entire area is to be renewed, and the road is to be turned into a new turnpike tunnel (comparable to the turnpike in Boston, I guess). A grand scheme that will add more milieu to Oslo.
Also, just mentioning, one of the landmarks of Oslo is also about to be refurbished, namely the Holmenkollen ski jump that towers above the city is to get at new ski jumping tower. A change of appearance and an attempt to put Oslo back on the map when it comes to winter sports.
Most of the time I don't miss Oslo at all, but sometimes - when reading stuff like this - I wish that I was in the middle of what is happening.
tirsdag den 23. september 2008
Abonner på:
Kommentarer til indlægget (Atom)
Ingen kommentarer:
Send en kommentar